In this blog post we will learn how to schedule event(s) using Atomcal and bring these badboy(s) to Discordo for sharing it with your community for them to RSVP and get notified when the event(s) are about to start.
Note: Discord channels and Zoom links in event description will be used as Discord event location automagically 🪄
What does this article cover?
- How do I schedule an event using Atomcal?
- How do I add a Voice Chat / Stage Channel / Zoom Links to event
- How do I connect a calendar to a channel
- How do I bring event to Discord from Atomcal
- How do I auto broadcast events to my Discord channels?
- Other ways to share events in Discord
- How do I edit or cancel an event on Atomcal?
- How do I customise allowed guest status (or roles)?
- What other Discord features are available
- Frequently Asked Questions
HOW DO I SCHEDULE AN EVENT IN ATOMCAL
In order to create an Event in Atomcal (and bring them to Discord), you will need two things (a) An Atomcal calendar, and (b) A connected discord account.
For this you must signup. When you signup a default calendar is created for you. Although you can create infinite number of calendar(s).
Click the following links to learn how to:
Note: You can create unlimited calendars in Atomcal or get invited to another users calendar as editor.
It's easy sailing afterwards. Let's see to create your first event!
- Navigate to a desired day using keyboard arrow keys or forward backward arrows in the header.
- Press on the Let's Change That button to expand the timeline.
- Drag on the timeline to choose a time. This should open the event details.
- Give the event a title and press return. Give the event a description.
- Use the options in the event header to change the calendar(s) and other settings.
Events are saved in the background automatically but to manually save them you can press ⌘+s (or ctrl+s on Windows).
You can change the event type to playing/streaming or whatever you like to give it more meaning.
You must change the event to Public from Private for making it shareable on Discord.
HOW DO I ADD A DISCORD VOICE / STAGE / ZOOM LINKS TO AN EVENT
If you'd like to schedule event that is held at a Discord Voice or Stage channel OR outside of a Voice Chat channel or a Stage channel like Zoom, you can do so by pasting the link to the place in Event Description.
1. Go to your Discord server or Zoom to copy the appropriate link.
2. Paste the link in the description. It should convert into an embedded link.
3. On Discord, the Voice / Stage channels will take priority over Zoom as event location when the event is brought to Discord.
LETS BRING THIS BADBOY TO DISCORD!
In order to bring an Event from Atomcal to Discord, you must have at least one of the event calendar(s) connected to a Discord channel. When a channel is connected to a calendar the server is set to receive Events from Atomcal.
HOW DO I CONNECT A CALENDAR TO A CHANNEL
To connect a channel to a calendar you must have editor access to the calendar and you must have a trusted role in the server.
- Use to set-broadcasting-channel slash command
- Select a broadcasting channel
- Select a calendar to attach the broadcasting channel
- Channels in different servers can be connected to the same calendar.
HOW DO I BRING AN EVENT TO DISCORD
To bring an event from Atomcal to Discord, you need to change the event settings.
- Open the event settings by pressing the cogs ⚙️
- Press the Sync this event with connected Discord server(s)
4. If more than one server channels are connected as broadcasting channels the event will sync with all the servers.
HOW DO I AUTO BROADCAST EVENTS TO MY DISCORD CHANNELS?
The scheduled events will also auto broadcast in the connected channel(s) 24 hours before, 1 hour before and at the time event starts if the setting to do so is ticked.
OTHER WAYS TO SHARE EVENTS IN DISCORD
Apart from auto broadcasting you can also share Atomcal event in Discord manually using a slash command.
- Use the slash command share-event
- Pick calendar this event belongs to (the event has to be in future, and public)
- Press the share this event button (to confirm if it looks good)
- That's it, the event has been shared for anyone to RSVP
You can share this event in any channel you like in any Discord server Atomcal is installed in as long as you have sharing rights via trusted role.
HOW DO I EDIT, OR CANCEL AN EVENT ON ATOMCAL?
If you would like to edit an event you can do so by opening the event details by pressing on the event either once in collapsed timeline mode or twice on expanded timeline mode. Any edit to the event will be auto synced with Discord event.
To cancel an event, there are three types of ways:
- Pressing on the 🗑 button: you can delete the event by open the details and pressing the bin icon to delete the event
- Press the backspace key: you can also delete an event by pressing the backspace key when the event is in collapsed mode and selected
- Dragging in the bin: you can also drag the event in the 🗑 which is shown in the header once the event is being dragged
Any canceled event will be removed from Discord channel.
Note: You can also toggle to show cancelled events from the CLI in you want to see your cancelled events.
HOW DO I CUSTOMIZE ALLOWED GUEST STATUS (OR ROLES)?
Easy stuff bro. You can do so like this
- Go to the event settings in event details
- Press the customize event guest status option
- Add as many roles as you like separated by comma
Not every status will receive the notification (imagine if status is "not going"). You can set which status receive a notification by setting in the options.
You can allow only a certain Discord roles to be allowed to RSVP a certain status. To do this, after the status text in the settings, write <@&role_id>.
Copy the role ID from discord by enabling dev mode or something.
WHAT OTHER DISCORD FEATURES ARE AVAILABLE?
- You can gather questions before the event starts. Anyone who RSVP will be asked to provide a pre-event question.
- You can gather feedback after event ends too. The feedback will be text based and available next to the guest in the event details.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What happens if an event takes place in a voice channel with restricted access?
A: For events in restricted voice channels, only users with the right role/permissions to that channel can potentially attend the event and see the scheduled event in the Events option of the server's channel list.
Q: What channels can I schedule events for?
A: At this point in time, events can be scheduled for Private Stages, Voice Channels, and there is a free form field for any additional place (e.g. physical location, text channel, etc) that you are hosting an event.